Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES – SERIES REVIEW
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series:The Pharside (Pronounced ‘Far-Side’)
An Attack on Religious Attitudes
DISCLAIMER: This series is not about bashing religious people, it is about finding and eliminating the religious person in you.
PHARISEE: A political, social, and religious group that were “separate” due to their belief in the law.
SERIES – REVIEW QUESTIONS
As “The Pharside” series end, take a moment to review the series and how it has impacted you. Below are some general questions to consider as a group. In addition, there is a brief summary of each message, with one question from each week’s Meet Up Resources to help remind you of the content that has been covered. Help to make the most of the series by solidifying all that God has done in you.
- Based on this series, what changes have you made?How will you continue to make progress in these areas.
- What systems of accountability do you have in place?What additional accountability could you put in place?
- What is the hardest thing to change? What is your biggest take away, your “Big elephant” that you will begin to and continue to tackle?
SERIES – SERMON REVIEWS
09-02-18 Brood of Vipers (Matthew 3:1 – 17 MSG)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:The best way to overcome and attack religious attitudes in our life is through vulnerability and authenticity.
- Pastor Mike posed the question: “Are you growing? Can you identify the area that you are showing the greatest growth? What area would you like to grow more?
09-09-18 Throw the First Stone (John 8:2 – 11 ESV)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:All it takes is one person to start a movement.
- Pastor Mike taught this week: Religion will ask: “Where is the line?” but, Jesus will ask: “Where does it hurt?” As a person of faith, how can you assure and position yourself to consider other’s hurts, rather than where the line is of committing sin or “doing enough” not to cross it?
09-16-18 I’ve got something to tell you (Luke 7:36 – 50 ESV)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:When you are forgiven much, you will love much.
- Pastor Mike taught this week: “There is a price tag on each of our lives, and it is the Cross of Jesus Christ.” Describe ways that you understand, appreciate, and live out a response to the fact that you are forgiven and that Jesus died for your sins.
09-23-18 Sitting with Sinners (Matthew 9:9 – 25 ESV)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:As you examine what bothers you, be bothered by what bothers God.
- Pastor Mike indicates that we should always be desperate. Desperation is defined as ‘When you get to the end of yourself and the beginning of your trust in and with God’. What, in your life, are you desperate for and why are you desperate for this thing?
09-30-18 FRAUDS (Luke 11:37 – 54 MSG)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:Being a fraud is based on one’s identity. The goal of Religion is to be loved by God and to be loved by others, whereas the goal of the Gospel is to Love God and Love people.
- A loophole in our faith is usually a condition we put on it due to only a partial surrender and/or a concern about the appearance of something. Can you identify any “loopholes” in your faith?
10-07-18 OPPOSITE DAY (Luke 18:9 – 14 ESV)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Religion removes the supernatural in our interaction with God. We can not desire the SUPERNATURAL and require the super-logical at the same time.
- Do you see yourself in other’s, specifically sinners? When we exhibit empathy, our compassion increases, as we are able to see ourselves in others.
10-14-18 The Magic Show (Mark 8:11 – 26 MSG)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:Faith isn’t developed by formulas, but instead requires us to count our blessings, be obedient, and to keep going in the areas God is leading.
- “When we are stressed, anxious, or scared, please know that God is NOT!!” Identify an area that you have spiritual anxiety in and find promises within the scripture that will help reverse that attitude and to have greater trust in God.
10-21-18 There is nothing you can do about it!! (Acts 5:25 – 42 MSG)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: If something is of God, there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it to stop the movement of God.
- “Relationship with God needs consistency, not routine.”Define the difference between consistency and routine. How do you promote consistency in your relationship with Jesus, and prevent it from turning into routine.