Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, December 17, 2017
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Barry Hoover
It’s Beginning to Look a lot like…It’s Cold Outside (FEAR)
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format: WORSHIP & PRAYER
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DC is focused on WORSHIP & PRAYER, and because this week is Christmas, we will take special time to focus on gratitude, through the lenses of Emmanuel, God with US.
- What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
- Describe a recent time that fear has caused you to defer action?
- How do you experience “God with You” during the Christmas season?
This week’s FOCUS: Overcoming Fear by picking Jesus
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT FOR WORSHIP & PRAYER
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
For I am the Lord your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, do not fear;
I will help you.
2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
What parts of the scripture passages stood out to you? What parts are the most encouraging? What parts are the most challenging?
Definition of FEAR:
An unpleasant, often strong emotion caused by anticipation of impending danger, evil or pain; whether the threat is real or imagined.
“CONVENTIAL WISDOM” vs. “AFRAID”
QUESTION: Has God ever called you to “ACTION”, but you haven’t acted on it out of “Convential Wisdom” to play-it-safe??
Obedience comes with a cost.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
Fear is a LIAR.
Fear wants to write a story that he’s not authorized to write!
Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
God’s presence changes EVERYTHING.
SOME WORSHIP SELECTIONS
Here are some possible worship songs that your group can use for your time of worship. I would encourage you to get a portable speaker, use Apple TV, or something to make the music loud enough for your group to hear, and if you desire to sing along with. If you have musician in your group, feel free to have them play selections for your group gathering time.
Worship is a central part of FERVENT CHURCH and your DC experience. Our Week #3 focus on worship is important for the following reasons:
- Worship provides a time for everyone to put aside the busyness and hassles of the world and get in touch with the true Higher Power and creator of the Universe.
SOME WORSHIP GUIDELINE that can be used by your DC:
- We initially invite you to stand with us to engage in worship.
- We encourage you to be mindful of the lyrics and the importance of their message.
- Feel free to SIT, STAND, SING, PRAY, or just let the words wash over you, as you take this moment to slow down and connect with God!!
Bryan & Katie Torwalt – Emmanuel (God With Us Forever) [Lyric Video] (5:24)
Here’s a list of 20 modern, non-traditional worship songs that are written around the theme of Christmas (click on link to check out each song – you can play the song or even go to YouTube for the video).
- Noel(Lauren Daigle)
- Light Of The World(Lauren Daigle)
- It’s Christmas(Chris Tomlin)
- He Shall Reign Forevermore(Chris Tomlin)
- A Christmas Alleluia(Chris Tomlin, Lauren Daigle, Leslie Jordan)
- Our God (Chris Tomlin)
- Adore(Chris Tomlin)
- What A Glorious Night(Sidewalk Prophets)
- Build Your Kingdom Here(Rend Collective Experiment)
- Your Great Name(Natalie Grant)
- Hosanna(Hillsong United)
- Glory (Let There Be Peace)(Matt Maher)
- Advent Hymn(Christy Nockels)
- All Glory Be To Christ(Kings Kaleidoscope)
- Hosanna (Praise Is Rising)(Paul Baloche)
- I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day(Casting Crowns)
- Here I Am To Worship(Chris Tomlin, Passion Band)
- His Name Shall Be(Matt Redman)
- Everlasting God(Lincoln Brewster)
- God With Us(All Sons & Daughters)