DATE: Sunday, January 21, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Max Ingram, Jr.
Sermon Title: Power to OVERCOME SIN
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format:
WORSHIP & PRAYER
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DC is focused on WORSHIP & PRAYER and goes along with this week’s message about having the power to overcome sin. Here are two questions to prepare for your time of worship:
- This week’s scripture talks about “Victory that has overcome the world.” Name and describe a victory that you experienced in your life and how it was meaningful to you. The example can either be personal (individual) or corporate (shared experience).
- Is there a particular area in your life that you struggle to honor God. Describe the area, as well as the struggle. (Examples: Language, Finances, Sexuality, and more specifically the seven deadly sins list: PRIDE, GREED, LUST, ANGER, GLUTTONY, ENVY, SLOTH)
- In addition to the included SPOTIFY worship playlist, there are several scripture references, as well as the closing prayer for St. Francis of Assisi included in the sermon recap!! Feel free to supplement or utilize the additional references any way your group sees fit. Perhaps, close with the Prayer of St. Francis.
This week’s FOCUS: Overcoming Sin in your life
SOME WORSHIP SELECTIONS
Here are some possible worship songs that your group can use for your time of worship. I would encourage you to get a portable speaker, use Apple TV, or something to make the music loud enough for your group to hear, and if you desire to sing along with. If you have musician in your group, feel free to have them play selections for your group gathering time.
Worship is a central part of FERVENT CHURCH and your DC experience. Our Week #3 focus on worship is important for the following reasons:
- Worship provides a time for everyone to put aside the busyness and hassles of the world and get in touch with the true Higher Power and creator of the Universe.
SOME SUGGESTED GUIDELINES for WORSHIP that can be used by your DC:
- We initially invite you to stand with us to engage in worship.
- We encourage you to be mindful of the lyrics and the importance of their message.
- Feel free to SIT, STAND, SING, PRAY, or just let the words wash over you, as you take this moment to slow down and connect with God!!
Use our current SPOTIFY PLAYLIST from our APP:
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT FOR WORSHIP & PRAYER
1 John 5:1-5 (ESV)
“Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”
Power to Overcome SIN
1.) It’s about YOU
2.) It’s not about YOU
3.) Follow the PLAN
3 Ways to have the Power to Overcome Sin
1.) It’s about You – TAKE A LOOK
- START with the Seven Deadly Sins:
- PRIDE, GREED, LUST, ANGER, GLUTTONY, ENVY, SLOTH
- CHANGING YOUR MIND & PURPOSE &THE WAY YOU THINK
- REPENTANCE IS LIKE A SOUL ALIGNMENT.
Psalm 139:23, 24; “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
“Other people’s front porch always looks better after we clean the windows of our own house.”
Romans 7:18–19, “18 For WE know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For WE have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For WE do not do the good WE want, but the evil WE do not want is what WE keep on doing.” (ESV)
REPENTANCE – See & TURN away from our sin…
2.) It’s not about You – Do LIFE w/OTHERS
- Going it alone in spiritual matters is dangerous.
TRUSTING GOD & SOMEONE ELSE is ESSENTIAL
- TRUE VULNERABILITY comes only with TRUST.
- TRUST allows is to CONFESS
- OPENNESS before OTHERS is genuine proof of sincerity before God.
John 16:33 “We have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; WE have overcome the world.”
CONFESSION – SHARE our sins with OTHERS
3.) Follow the PLAN – Keep his commands
“The Bible is like a RANSOM NOTE – READ it carefully – DO what it says – and no one gets hurt.”
1 John 5:1-5 (ESV)
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.
- The DISCIPLINE of the LORD is NOT PUNITIVE – it is RESTORATIVE.
“What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. 7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.
1 John 5:1-5 (ESV)
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
Philippians 4:8, “8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
CLOSING PRAYER – PRAYER OF SAINT FRANCIS OF ASSISI
Lord, make US an instrument of thy peace!
That where there is hatred, WE may bring love.
That where there is wrong,
WE may bring the spirit of forgiveness.
That where there is discord, WE may bring harmony.
That where there is error, WE may bring truth.
That where there is doubt, WE may bring faith.
That where there is despair, WE may bring hope.
That where there are shadows, WE may bring light.
That where there is sadness, WE may bring joy.
Lord, grant that WE may seek rather to comfort,
than to be comforted.
To understand, than to be understood.
To love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life. AMEN!!!