Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, February 25, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
POWER Series: Power of JOY
MEETUP WEEK #4 Format: Hangout & Missional Event
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DC is designed to be a night that your group hangs out and focuses on getting to know one another better. In addition, your group has the opportunity to invite others to join your group. You may take this opportunity to go out to do a social event, host a game night, or even have a movie night.
Included this week are some questions to help start the conversation, if you don’t already have a focus or activity. In addition, there is a review of the sermon along with some additional questions to consider:
- Have you ever utilized a profession a planner, whether for an event, party, wedding, or trip, etc.? Describe the event and how a professional planner made you feel? Pastor Mike defined “Joy” as the ‘settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life.’ Did your planner give you the same assurance?
- The fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Share with the group which fruit manifests the most in your life? Which is the least or hardest for you to have in your life?
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: JOY is both a state and a choice – Choose JOY. It’s His POWER, but our RESPONSIBILITY to live it out.
Please READ GALATIANS 5:16 – 25 (NKJV)
Walking in the Spirit
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
What parts of the scripture passage stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging? What does this passage tell us about “POWER”?
JOY is the settled ASSURANCE that God is in CONTROL of all the details of my life, the quiet CONFIDENCE that ultimately everything is going to be alright, and the determined CHOICE to praise God in every situation.
Make decisions to be over your emotions.
Joy is a state, as well as choice.
Remember: Thugs don’t smile!!
Problems don’t RSVP.
Emotions will attempt to make decisions over you.
Wear JOY – JOY is attractive.
When you add Leadership to a problem, it becomes an opportunity.
Relationship with God should not be reliant on emotions.
“CHOOSE JOY” – Sticky Note Faith on your Mirror.
WRONG THINKING OF JOY
- 1.) You don’t need to supplement JOY
- I will wait until…
- No need for “Jesus +”, all you need is just Jesus
- 2.) JOY can co-exist with suffering
- Sometimes Joy comes in the form of work, not comfort.
- Suffering is an opportunity for intimacy and getting closer to the father.
- 3.) JOY is NOT circumstantial
- JOY of your salvation
- JOY helped Jesus endure the cross
- When you choose Jesus, you also by nature choose JOY