DATE: Sunday, March 18, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Mike Rosado
Sermon Title: Power of CONVICTION
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format:
WORSHIP & PRAYER
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DC is focused on WORSHIP & PRAYER and goes along with this week’s message about having the power to overcome sin. Here are two questions to prepare for your time of worship:
- Pastor Mike shared that the Holy Spirit doesn’t care so much about how fast you get to your spiritual destination and maturity, but that you do in fact get to your final destination. Share a trip where you took your time and enjoyed the journey before arriving at your destination. Or perhaps a trip that had an unexpected detour that led to a discovery of some sort (A new restaurant, a unique experience, an antique, etc.).
- The Holy Spirit challenges (convicts) us in one area and one thing at a time. Is there a particular area that you want to focus on during our prayer and worship time this evening. Take a moment, and ask God what area that you should focus on tonight. If you are willing, share with the group the area that you plan to focus on tonight.
This week’s WORSHIP FOCUS: God’s Conviction of Challenge in one area of your life.
SOME WORSHIP SELECTIONS
Here are some possible worship songs that your group can use for your time of worship. I would encourage you to get a portable speaker, use Apple TV, or something to make the music loud enough for your group to hear, and if you desire to sing along with. If you have musician in your group, feel free to have them play selections for your group gathering time.
Worship is a central part of FERVENT CHURCH and your DC experience. Our Week #3 focus on worship is important for the following reasons:
- Worship provides a time for everyone to put aside the busyness and hassles of the world and get in touch with the true Higher Power and creator of the Universe.
SOME WORSHIP GUIDELINE that can be used by your DC:
- We initially invite you to stand with us to engage in worship.
- We encourage you to be mindful of the lyrics and the importance of their message.
- Feel free to SIT, STAND, SING, PRAY, or just let the words wash over you, as you take this moment to slow down and connect with God!!
Use our current SPOTIFY PLAYLIST from our APP:
In Honor of St. Patrick’s Day – A Simple Meditation
“Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
― St. Patrick
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT
FOR WORSHIP & PRAYER
John 16:5-14 (NKJV) – The Work of the Holy Spirit
5 “But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
FERVENT’S APPROACH TO SIN & LIFECHANGE:
“We want you to know God on a deeper level, and we trust the results of that relationship.”
GUILT – A cognitive or an emotional experience that occurs when a person realizes or believes – accurately or not – that he or she has compromised his or her own standards of conduct responsibility for that violation.
- Is having lack of confidence in Jesus and His word.
- Comes from feeling underserving.
- Is denying the work of the cross.
SHAME (Put on You – From Outside) – A violation of cultural or social values while guilt feeling arise from violations of one’s internal values.
CONDEMNATION (Robs Identity) – A final judgment or disapproval (You made a mistake and are a mistake). Shows you the problem, but never introduces a solution.
Romans 8:1-2 (NKJV) – Free from Indwelling Sin
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
CONVICTION (Leads to salvation) – Conviction is known in the Bible as GODLY SORROW. God’s Word tells us that Godly sorrow is what leads us to repentance.
2 Corinthians 7:10 (NKJV)
10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.
CLOSING PRAYER – PRAYER OF SAINT PATRICK
“Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.”
― St. Patrick