DATE: Sunday, April 22, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Erik Vagan
You’re NOT who you were: So Don’t act like it.
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format: WORSHIP & PRAYER
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DMC is focused on WORSHIP & PRAYER and goes along with this week’s message about having the power to overcome sin. Here are two questions to prepare for your time of worship:
- Last week, we discussed if you had any nick names, whether positive or negative in nature. Today, we want to put you in the driver’s seat – if you could pick your own nick name or a description of you, what would it be? (What prevents you from having this as your identity?)
- As we prepare for worship and prayer, lets prepare our hearts by addressing some of our negative self-talk that impacts how we see our own identity. What are some ways that you fill-in this statement: “I am NOT _________ enough.”
This week’s Worship & Prayer FOCUS: Jesus is enough. What part of your identity or past failures need to be given to God so that you can fully embrace your identity in God?
SOME WORSHIP SELECTIONS
Here are some possible worship songs that your group can use for your time of worship. I would encourage you to get a portable speaker, use Apple TV, or something to make the music loud enough for your group to hear, and if you desire to sing along with. If you have musician in your group, feel free to have them play selections for your group gathering time.
Worship is a central part of FERVENT CHURCH and your DMC experience. Our Week #3 focus on worship is important for the following reasons:
- Worship provides a time for everyone to put aside the busyness and hassles of the world and get in touch with the true Higher Power and creator of the Universe.
SOME WORSHIP GUIDELINE that can be used by your DMC:
- We initially invite you to stand with us to engage in worship.
- We encourage you to be mindful of the lyrics and the importance of their message.
- Feel free to SIT, STAND, SING, PRAY, or just let the words wash over you, as you take this moment to slow down and connect with God!!
Use our current SPOTIFY PLAYLIST from our APP:
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT
FOR WORSHIP & PRAYER
Matthew 16:13-18 (ESV) – Peter Confesses Jesus as the Christ
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Meaning of His Names
Simon = Listen
Peter = Rock
I.) You’re NOT who you were: So don’t act like it!!
1.) Jesus gave SIMON a new NAME.
2.) Jesus gave PETER a new PURPOSE.
3.) Jesus gave PETER new LIFE VISION.
– Simon could not become Peter until he learned to “Listen”. Once he ‘listened’, he become the ‘Rock’.
II.) Jesus Redeems us from our biggest failure to our biggest turning point.
– Self Soothing/Medicating – We go back to what you know and are comfortable with.
1.) Jesus takes us there to show LOVING ACCEPTANCE.
– Jesus is pulling for us.
2.) Jesus takes us there to Remember our NEW IDENTITY
Q: How will Jesus respond to our past and previous failures?
3.) Jesus takes us there to EMBRACE our LIFE PURPOSE
– It is time to take off the old Name-tag and live in our reestablished identity.
Q: What is keeping me in my old identity?
Q: What is God calling you to do?
“You are more than a conqueror!!”