Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, May 6, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
ID Series: Power…I AM CHOSEN
MEETUP WEEK #1 Format: UP
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Your identity isn’t based on your performance, but your PERFORMANCE should be based on your identity in God, which will help spur you into action.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKER):
- Describe a time where you won an award, trophy, or had a recognized accomplishment based on your performance (Could be a recent sales goal, a 4thgrade spelling bee, or a championship season). Did you let this accomplishment help define or inform your identity in any way?
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- Pastor Mike said we want to be a church that redefines the concept of “Holy”. Before we can do that, we must define and understand what “Holy” is. As a group, how would you define, “HOLY”?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- What does Pastor Mike mean by the expression “Grace fills the gaps”? Give an example of how that has played out in your life.
- Describe how you feel when you are corrected / and or directed? How do you remain teachable?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- Because of our identity, we are as close to God as we want to be.How close to God do you want to be? Does your life reflect your level of desire?
Please READ 1 Peter 2:1 – 12 (ESV)
2:1 So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. 2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in Scripture:
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 8and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.”
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
- The whole Bible is telling the story of Jesus Christ
- The church was being attacked
- Don’t fight fire with fire
- – Don’t retaliate
- Peter: If you want to know what to do, let me remind you who you are.
- – Let me remind you who you are: You are chosen
- Doesn’t matter how you feel
- Your identity is not based on your performance
- – Romans 3:23 – All have fallen short of the glory of God
- – Your short-comings don’t define who you are in God
- Child’s response to correction: “Why you judging me?”
- – I am not calling you stupid, you are doing something that is stupid – It’s called correction
- – God disciplines those he loves
- – “Better is open love, than hidden rebuke”
- CORRECTION IS NOT REJECTION
- – You are not being judged
- – Championing the cause of God in your life
- – Aggressively love you and believe the potential in your life
The PERFORMANCE DILEMA
1.)Your identity isn’t based on your performance, but your PERFORMANCE should be based on your identity.
- Who you are, should dictate what you do
- – Religion: Your performance determines your value.
- – Before you act – First ask: Who am I?
- Difference between tripping on sin and reclining in sin.
- Be a place that accepts everyone – Preach Grace
- Religion Says (opposite of Grace):
- – If I don’t sin, I am loved by God.
- – If I do sin, I am rejected by God.
- Balanced Message – you still have to do something:
- – My yoke is easy, burden is light (Jesus will carry the majority of the weight)
- – But we still must wear the yoke
- Hear from heaven, but speak on Earth.
- Honor the payment that was made on your behalf.
- Grace: Jesus paid the price
- – Hell is not your destiny
- – Worship God with our Best – bring him honor and glory
- Grace fills the gaps
2.) There is a difference between WORTH and your WAGE.
- EXCELLENCE: Doing the best you can, with what you have, where you are.
- There is a price tag on your life…
- – Big ‘Price is Right’ Price Tag on your chest: JESUS
- – This is your worth… (John 3:16)
- Confuse WORTH & WAGE
- – WAGES = Earning
- – WAGES of sin is death
- – You will be judged by God before entering Heaven
- IDENTITY – Is the starting line / You are known (your worth)
- Confuse: If I don’t work I am not worthy
- – My mistakes don’t make me worthless
- – Q:(Parenst/Spouse): How do you feel when you are directed / corrected?
- Is it the way I am bringing it, or the way you are receiving it.
- – When we are corrected we often feel devalued – we feel our value has gone down.
- – We hide our mistakes – afraid to lose value – eventually think less of ourselves due to our mistakes.
- We don’t know how thoroughly loved we are until we expose our mistakes
- – Grace covers all the gaps
- Love should be the motivating factor – Be confident – don’t beat yourself up.
- – You will not ever shame yourself to be better
- Don’t grow numb to GRACE
- Be a church to redefine “HOLY” – The platform might provoke change, but only Relationships will bring about long-term changes
3.) You’re on the winning team, but you have to GET IN THE GAME.
- You CALLED / CHOSEN – get in the game
- – Who you are dictates what you do.
- – Be excited to be in this thing called life!!
- – Be a light in to the world.
- – Get in the game
- CHOSEN (Greek)
- – Jews rejected the invitation
- – Many are called, but few are chosen
- God’s will is that none will perish
- Many are called, but few make themselves selectable
- – Garment of righteousness
- – Put on new identity
- We act like we are defeated, when God has given us victory
- Please READ Matthew 22:14 (ESV)
- 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
- Martin Luther, “All we, who are Christians, are priests, and no believer has greater access to the creator than the other.”
- You have access to the Creator, because of your identity and who you are.
- Because of our identity, we are as close to God as you want to be.
- Q: How close to God do you want to be?