Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, May 13, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
HAPPY BELATED MOTHER’S DAY!!
ID Series: I am a CHILD OF GOD
MEETUP WEEK #2 Format: IN (Deeper with Each Other)
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Your identity as an ADULT (Grown-up) Child of God requires STEWARDSHIP, SERVANTHOOD, SECURITY, and SUBMISSION.
Tonight’s DC is designed to be an “IN Night” that your group hangs out and focuses on getting to know one another better. In addition, your group has the opportunity to invite others to join your group (some opportunities are listed above). You may take this opportunity to go out to do a social event, host a game night, or even have a movie night.
Included this week are some questions to help start the conversation, if you don’t already have a focus or activity. Therefore there is a review of the sermon along with some additional questions to consider and continue the conversation.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKER):
- As an adult, what still gives you child-like wonder and excitement? (Is it a hobby, a sport, an occurance in nature, meeting a famous person, an accomplishment, fireworks, a special food, or something else?)
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- Galatians 4 refers to God, as “Abba, Father”, which is translated to the intimate term of “Daddy”. How does it make you feel to use such an intimate term in regards to God? Is it easy, or does it seem too intimate and therefore a challenge to use such a term? What are some other intimate terms that you might use in reference to God?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- When you are hurting and desperate, WHERE & WHO do you run to? Describe what it looks like in your life, and give examples of how you react when you are hurting and or desperate.
Question #4 (ACTION):
- When it comes to our own Day of Judgment, and we stand before God, we will be asked about what we did or didn’t do in our life? How would you grade (on a scale of A – F) yourself on how you have lived your Christian life (be more generous than harsh with your grading – Jesus grades on a curve)? Regardless of your grade, this week how can you take a tangible step to improve your grade?
Please READ Galatians 4:1 – 7 (ESV)– Sons and Heirs
4:1 I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything, 2 but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. 3 In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. 4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
- – You will mature from being a child, You will never stop being someone’s child.
- – You can mature from being a child, but you never mature being a child of…
- – Immaturity Thrives on Selfishness
What does it look like to be an ADULT CHILD OF GOD?
1.) STEWARDSHIP (Ownership)
- – We don’t own it nor did we earn it, but we now have the responsibility to take care of it.
- – “Being the opposite of someone will never allow you to be the totality of who God wants to be.”
- – “You can only be a steward of what God puts you in charge of.”
- – “Once you understand your identity, excuses go away.”
- – Q: Were you a good Son or daughter?
- – Q: What did you do or didn’t do?
2.) SERVANTHOOD (Power of Authenticity)
- – “Need more ‘Love Them All’ rather than ‘Know It All’.
- – Only As deep as the last person you served.
- – Put on / Chase Aprons – Not Crowns. (In other words, serve people)
3.) SECURITY (Comfort)
- – Take inventory of what’s there.
- – Q: When you are hurting and desperate, WHERE & WHO do you run to?
4.) SUBMISSION (Jurisdiction)
- – Understand the importance of mutual submission.
- – “It’s hard for you to submit when you don’t know who is in authority.”
- – “Delayed obedience is still disobedience. Partial submission is not true submission.”
- – “Lord of all, or NOT Lord at all.”
- – To live in authority, must be under Authority.
Please READ Hebrews 12:5 – 11(ESV)
5 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?
“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.”
7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.