Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Thursday, May 24, 2018 – Memorial Day Weekend
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
ID Series: I Am NOTHING
MEETUP WEEK #4 Format: OUT (SERVE)
Tonight’s DMC is designed to be a night that your group serves the community by going OUT, as well as focusing on getting to know one another better in the process. In addition, your group has the opportunity to invite others to join your group. You may take this opportunity to go out to a local service project or join with those in the community, outside of your group in some capacity.
Included this week are some questions to help start the conversation, if you don’t already have a focus or activity. In addition, there is a review of the sermon along with some additional Meet-Up Questions to consider:
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: In order to embrace your new life and identity, we must develop and practice humility in order to make the biggest impact in the Kingdom of God.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- – Name a person whom you think embodies humility? (They can be famous, a historical figure (don’t say Jesus – that goes without saying), or some one you know – like my Grandfather Gifford). What characteristics do they posses that makes you recognize their humility?
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- – How do this week’s scriptures (see below) relate to each other, especially in regards to the concept of “nothing”? What parts of the scripture passage stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- – An international missionary was quoted as saying about the American Church: “It’s amazing what the American Church can accomplish without the Holy Spirit.” What do you think the missionary meant by this? Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain why.
- – What things are your protecting in your life? Pastor Mike taught that there are three areas of pride:
Appearance (what other people think of us),
Abilities (People telling us what we can or can’t do), and
Achievements (The things we do).
Which area do you struggle most with in regards to pride? (Remember, pride protects and guards.)
- – Lacking humility, prevents us from changing, enduring discomfort, worshipping God, or hearing God. What are some specific ways or practices to help you safeguard against lacking humility?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- PRIDE INVENTORY:
– Take a “Pride Inventory” this week. Take some time this week between you and God to jot down what you are prideful about. Confess and repent as you compare to Christ.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON CONTEXT
Galatians 2:20 (ESV)
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (ESV)
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
John 15:5 (ESV)
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
Philippians 2:1-11 (ESV)
2 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
– Without HUMILITY, we are nothing.
– The fastest way to be promoted in the Kingdom of God is humility.
– Opposite of Humility = PRIDE
– Humility Serves – Pride Protects
Pastor Max BONUS INSIGHT: Humility is not thinking less of your self, its thinking of yourself less. (In other words, its not thinking ill of yourself, but instead not always thinking of yourself first – it’s about putting others first.)
I am prideful about my:
- 1.) Appearance
(Not necessarily Beauty, but how people see you*)
– What will people think of me?
- 2.) Abilities
– Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do
- 3.) Achievements
– Losing achievements should not hurt or rob you of your identity
– God didn’t you an identity to lose it
– Fear of Failure & Loss – Afraid to step Out
– “We may not be getting many Ws, but we won’t rack up any Ls”
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO LIVE WITHOUT HUMILITY:
- 1.) Without humility, you cannot CHANGE/PROMOTE CHANGE
- – Events often force Humility
- – Can not promote or bring about change without Humility – can not have an agenda
- 2.) Without humility, you cannot ENDURE DISCOMFORT
- – Without Humility, can’t handle Pain
- – Often feel we are above pain (we don’t deserve pain)
- – The truth is, we actually DESERVEworse
- **We don’t fall out of love, we fall out of humility
- – Take posture of humility and see what happens
- 3.) Without humility, you cannot WORSHIP GOD
(Without humility, your attitude runs wild)
- – Barry: “In order to touch heaven, we have to go down.”
- – Only way to go up, is by going down.
- **Without humility, everything becomes optional.
- – We don’t fit God into our schedule (Prideful)
- Imagine saying that someone famous, “I’ll see if I can fit you into my schedule.”
- 4.) Without humility, you cannot HEAR GOD
- – PRAYER – Be quiet and listen
(2 Ears – 1 Mouth – use proportionally)
- – To preach better, you must listen better
- – Without Holy Spirit:
- I AM Nothing / I GAIN Nothing / I CAN DO Nothing
- (Which will lead to eternal significance)