Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, June 17, 2018 – Fathers Day
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Barry Huver
NEW Series: PAUSE: Don’t Just Stop
SERMON TITLE: Stop…SINGING
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format: “UP” Questions
Our “UP” week focuses on Specifically on growing closer to God, and would be considered a traditional picture of discipleship and bible study, as well as opportunities for “Evenings of Worship.”
REMINDERS FOR THIS WEEK:
Thursday (11/21) – Creative Arts DMC hosts Worship Night @ Fervent 7pm (UP Event)
REST is defined as, “The refreshing, renewing, and refueling pauses in life that we find in the rhythms of working with God.”
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: WORSHIP is defined as “Ascribing worth to God”, which is also our choice.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Describe a favorite band you like to see live or your favorite concert that you have ever attended?
- In regards to worship music, what is your favorite band, song, or specific lyric and why?
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- What parts of the scripture passage from Matthew 11 stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging? What does this passage teach us, in verse 11:25, about “these things” and Jesus’ expectation for them?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- What do you identify as your preferences in worship? In what ways can this prevent you from ‘ascribing worth to God’?
- Worship is defined as “Ascribing worth to God.”What are some unexpected ways, given this expanded definition, you can worship God in your life?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- Creative Arts director, Barry Huver posed the question this Sunday, “When was the last time your ‘worship’ or ‘offering’ offended someone, especially other Professional Christians?” Specifically describe what this could look like in your life, if you were able to optimally live this out?
- Describe some specific ways that you can stretch and grow in your worship experience (Example: ascribing worth to God when you are singing, engaging worship in a more physical way i.e. raising your hands, or worshiping through a different activity than you are use to). Would you be willing to commit to your group members what you are willing to try this week?
Please READ Matthew 11:20 – 28 (ESV)
Woe to Unrepentant Cities
20 Then he began to denounce the cities where most of his mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”
25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children;26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
- 1.) Stop Singing and WORSHIP
Definition of WORSHIP: Ascribing worth to God
Definition of SINGING: Make musical sound with your voice.
– Singing is often preference based
– Worship is being aware of God’s presence
– Difference between ‘singing’ and ‘worship’
– Please Don’t sing out of: Duty / Obligation / Routine / Preference
– Instead Sing to God
Q: What else is Worship?
Q: What isn’t Worship?
Q: How do we ascribe worth to God in rest?
– Repentance = Humility / Worship
Matthew 11:25 – “These things” = Kingdom of Heaven invading Earth (Miracles)
Q: What were Jesus’ expectation when performing “works & miracles”?
- 2.) Worship is a CHOICE
– Be PRESENT in His PRESENCE
– Be AMAZED at the depth of His Presence
– Worship puts everything else in perspective
-My Choice: Ascribe worth to God
-Stand Firm – You will see His deliverance
-True Miracle: What God has done to my heart.
Q: When was the last time your ‘worship’ or ‘offering’ offended someone, especially other Professional Christians?
Q: Worship is a choice, but why are you choosing it?