Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, June 24, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series: PAUSE: Don’t Just Stop
SERMON TITLE: Stop…Being EXHAUSTED
MEETUP WEEK #4 Format: “OUT” Questions
Our “OUT” week focuses on mission and others who are outside of the group. This week is specifically about building relationships in the community and serving others. This is your DMCs opportunity to take what you love, and make it how you love!!
REST is defined as, “The refreshing, renewing, and refueling pauses in life that we find in the rhythms of working with God.”
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Exhaustion will lie to you, therefore it is important to learn how to rest in order to overcome exhaustion.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Pastor Mike talked about making ‘mix-tapes’ when he was growing up. Describe some of the songs and artist on one of your favorite mix-tapes, or in more modern terms, a playlists.
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- What parts of the scripture passage from 1 Thessalonians 5 stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging? How do we “overwhelm others with appreciation & love” as we “look for the best” in others”?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- What would happen, if instead of exhaustion, we learned how to rest? How could that effect different aspects of your life?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- ASSIGNMENT #1: Take a “NEGATIVITY Inventory” – Take note of each time when YOU are negative, in your thoughts, words, and deeds this week.
- ASSIGNMNET #2: Start a “GRATITUDE Journal” – Write down the things that you are thankful for and those things that God is doing in your life.
Please READ 1 Thessalonians 5:12-18 (MSG)
12-13 And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!
13-15 Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other’s nerves you don’t snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.
16-18 Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
– Sabbath = Temporary Stop / Keep Seperate
6 SIGNS of EXHAUSTION (Physically & Spiritually):
1.) Dry Lips
2.) Fuzzy Mind
3.) Lack Effort
4.) Stressed Out
5.) Eat Junk
- Sleep Poorly
– “EXHAUSTION WILL LIE TO YOU.”
WHAT’s DRAINING YOU:
- 1.) MEASURING UP
– Everyone is rated – shows legitimacy
– Level is something I have to reach
– Worry more about ratings than God’s Will (What’s Right)
– Rating over Success
– Paralyzed by not measuring up
– Religion = Measuring Up
- 2.) NEGATIVITY
– Drains you – robs you of energy
– Think Positive – How God sees these people
– You can change the world of World-Changers, and World-Changers will change the world
– You can not have a positive life with a negative mind
– ASSIGNMENT: Negativity Inventory – Take note of when YOU are negative
– ASSIGNMENT: Gratitude Journal – Write down those things that God is doing in your life.
– Negativity is NOT God’s language
– DECISION: LISTEN with your two ears or WALK AWAY with your two feet
- 3.) SECRETS
– Conflict is often working around a secret / problem
– ASSIGNMENT: LIFE CONFESSION (Soul Care)
– Bring into the light, relives the weight of the secret/problem
– It is liberating to be in the light
– Jesus can bring refreshment
- 4.) RUNNING
– Doubt = Denial of God
– Seems easier to Run (Wasted Energy)
– Give-up Running
Q: What would happen. If instead of exhaustion, we learned how to rest?