Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, July 29, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Mike Rosado
NEW Series: PAUSE: Don’t Just Stop
SERMON TITLE: Start Living
MEETUP WEEK #5: FREE WEEK
Included this week are some questions to help start the conversation, if you don’t already have a focus or activity. As Pastor Mike concluded the series “PAUSE” this weekend, he covered many points, and therefore there are some additional questions listed this week. In addition, there is a review of the sermon below the Meet-Up questions.
REST is defined as, “The refreshing, renewing, and refueling pauses in life that we find in the rhythms of working with God.”
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Jesus HAS life, IS life and GIVES life. Now that we understand “REST” better, it is time to begin to start living and share our experience with Jesus with others.
4 QUESTIONS TYPES:
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- This week, Pastor Mike encouraged us to “Find people with life.” What do you think he means by this? Who is someone in your world that has “life”?
- How would you complete the phrase: “Life is: __________.”
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- What parts of the various “LIFE” scripture passages stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- What is your source of Life? Can you identify some of the wrong sources that you plug in to? (Performance / Accomplishment / Attention / Distraction / Depression/ Etc.)
- What in you needs to be crucified? What are the bad habits and old desires that need to die in order to draw closer to Jesus and better reflect Him in your life?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- TELL OTHERS: We need real people to tell the story of how Jesus changed their life.This week, come up with three main ways that Jesus has changed your life, and share it with someone in your life that you have never shared about your faith. If you can, tell your fellow group members the first name of who you plan to share with so that they can pray for you!!
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Keep and or create a “Gratitude Journal” about the things you thank God for. For a more advanced challenge create a “Service Journal” and record different people you serve.
BIBLE READING – “LIFE” Verses:
Please READ John1:1-5 (ESV)
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
“LIFE is the Rest that God intended”
“REST is the Life that God Intended.”
-No crash diet. Lifestyle
LIFE – Various Greek Definitions
- “BIOS” = Biological life
(Luke 8:14) “Cares, riches and pleasures of this life.”
- “PSUCHE” = Soul or self life
(John 10:11) “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”
- “ZOE”- LIFE, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence. God’s life
- Jesus HAS life.
- Jesus IS life.
- Jesus GIVES life.
There is no abundance of life without finding the rhythms of God.
1.) Life Understands LIFE(Game recognizes game)
Luke 9:59-62 NKJV
Then He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.” And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.” But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
– “You are who you hang out with” – It determines your life.
– FIND PEOPLE WITH LIFE
2.) Life can only be found in ONE PLACE
John 14:6 NKJV
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
“A performance requires an audience so when someone is performance driven, loneliness is a big deal. There is no audience.”
– WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE OF LIFE?
3.) Life is INESCAPABLE(Embrace Life 7 Reality)
Reality vs. Fantasy
– Fantasy is short-lived.
– Fall in love more with Reality than Fantasy.
– Circumstances of life don’t determine the outcome of life.
– Change the narrative in your mind.
– Defense Mechanism leads us away from reality.
– Keep: A Gratitude Journal & A Service Journal (Record people you serve)
4.) To live means I need to DIE to things
Philippians 1:21 NKJV
For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
“It’s difficult to allow Jesus to set you free when you consider your prison a fortress.”
– He came to set the captive free…
– WHAT IN ME NEEDS TO BE CRUCIFIED?
– Bad Habits / Old Desires should die.
– If things don’t die, they are bondage.
– NEVER STOP LEARNING – Continue to Grow in Grace / Forgiveness / Love
– “It is difficult to let Jesus set you free, if you consider your prison as a fortress.”
5.) Life is proven through reproduction(In other people)
– Reproduction is heartbeat of discipleship
– Discipleship = We are given Life in order to give Life to others.
– LIFE (We are tested to learn lessons) vs. SCHOOL (Learn lessons to take test)
– NEED: Real People to tell the story of how Jesus changed your life.
– Growth: “The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
– “Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.” Albert Einstein
– Jesus is CONSTANT – Everything else are variables.