Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, August 12, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
SERMON TITLE: THE RIGHT THING
MEETUP WEEK #2 Format: MEET-UP Questions
For this “IN” week, the main focus is to connect on a deeper level in community. This means build TRUST… you can do that with belly laughs and/or confession- and everything in between. Model being genuine and approachable. Create some space when you gather for the Spirit to lead in relational gaps- and BE PRESENT!
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: It is difficult to be distracted when you focus on Jesus.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Pastor Mike described Martha prepping food for a gathering of guests (including Jesus). Where is your favorite place to be at communal gatherings? (Prepping in the kitchen, watching the game on TV, chasing the kids, playing games, chomping on appetizers, etc.)
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- We looked at the different responses to Jesus’ presence by Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Read these verses in 2 different translations. Then have someone put the story in their own words.
- What parts of the scripture passage stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging? What does this passage teach us about “FOCUS”?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- WHAT easily distracts you? (examples: interpersonal drama, injustice, change in routine, pursuit of pleasure, etc)
- WHY does it distract you? …As you pull away the “layers” of your heart (you ogre!)- what’s in your story that would cause you to be distracted by that thing(s)?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- What is your exit plan? What will you do to fight for focus and against the distraction next time it comes up?
Please READ Luke 10:38-42 (Easy-to-Read-Version) – Mary and Martha
38 While Jesus and his followers were traveling, he went into a town, and a woman named Martha let him stay at her house. 39 She had a sister named Mary. Mary was sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to him teach.40 But her sister Martha was busy doing all the work that had to be done. Martha went in and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are getting worried and upset about too many things. 42 Only one thing is important. Mary has made the right choice, and it will never be taken away from her.”
DEFINE DISTRACTION: a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention / your attention in the wrong direction!