Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, August 26, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
SERMON TITLE: When God Jacks Up Your Plans
MEETUP WEEK #4 Format: OUT (SERVE)
REMINDER FOR THIS WEEK:
THIS THURSDAY – Labor Day Weekend Church Service
(August 30 @ 7pm)
No SUNDAY Worship Experience (9/2)
Spend time with people in your world
START THE CONVERSATION – QUESTIONS:
Tonight’s DMC is designed to be a night that your group serves the community by going OUT, as well as focusing on getting to know one another better in the process. In addition, your group has the opportunity to invite others to join your group. You may take this opportunity to go out to a local service project or join with those in the community, outside of your group in some capacity.
Included this week are some questions to help start the conversation, if you don’t already have a focus or activity. In addition, there is a review of the sermon along with some additional Meet-Up Questions to consider:
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA:God is more interested in the development of your character and soul than He is your goals or plans.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- At some point when you have been on a road trip, describe a time you got lost or took a detour and discovered something unexpected or unplanned for (For example: A restaurant, a special view, or even a roadside attraction like Dukes of Hazzard’s Cooter’s Garage).
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- What parts of the scripture passage from Matthew 16 stood out to you, especially the highs and lows that Peter experienced? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging? What does this passage teach us about “FOCUS”?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- Share with the group a time when you had a plan and God altered the plan. How did it work out? How was God involved in the change?
- Can you describe a time recently when you felt like you were in God’s way? How were you getting in God’s way? How did you come to the realization that you were in God’s way and how did you get out of God’s way?
- Pastor Mike shared that when we “Make sure,” we are not making room for God to act. What are the things that make you pause or hesitate in following God plan?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- Pastor Mike defined ‘maturity’ in this context as being able to thank God, after the fact, for pain that you went through. Is there an example of this from your life that you would care to share with the group? What is greatest lesson from this time of pain in your life?
o Can you share with the group your self-constructed purpose statement? If you haven’t written one or worked on it yet this month, take some time this week to construct your personal God-given Purpose Statement.
Please READ Matthew16:21 – 26 (MSG) You’re Not in the Driver’s Seat
21-22 Then Jesus made it clear to his disciples that it was now necessary for him to go to Jerusalem, submit to an ordeal of suffering at the hands of the religious leaders, be killed, and then on the third day be raised up alive. Peter took him in hand, protesting, “Impossible, Master! That can never be!”
23 But Jesus didn’t swerve. “Peter, get out of my way. Satan, get lost. You have no idea how God works.”
24-26 Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?
Please READ Matthew16:13 – 20 (MSG) Son of Man, Son of God
13 When Jesus arrived in the villages of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “What are people saying about who the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some think he is John the Baptizer, some say Elijah, some Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”
15 He pressed them, “And how about you? Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter said, “You’re the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17-18 Jesus came back, “God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn’t get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I’m going to tell you who you are, really are. You are Peter, a rock. This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.
19 “And that’s not all. You will have complete and free access to God’s kingdom, keys to open any and every door: no more barriers between heaven and earth, earth and heaven. A yes on earth is yes in heaven. A no on earth is no in heaven.”
20 He swore the disciples to secrecy. He made them promise they would tell no one that he was the Messiah.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
WITHOUT YOUR PURPOSE, YOU CAN NOT IDENTIFY:
– Your ASSIGNMENT
– Your ROLES / RESPONSIBILITIES
– Your GOALS
– Your RESPONSE TO LIFE
WHY DOES YOUR PLANS GET JACKED UP BY GOD??:
1.) You can’t trust the PLAN, more than trust in GOD.
2.) It teaches us to get out of God’s way
3.) It teaches us to run with Him and not just toward our goals.
4.) God is more interested in the development of your character than He is your goals.