Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, September 9, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series:The Pharside (Pronounced ‘Far-Side’)
An Attack on Religious Attitudes
SERMON TITLE: Throw the First Stone
MEETUP WEEK #2 Format: “IN” Focus
Our “In” week focuses on caring for each other in our group, helping provide social opportunities to grow closer to one another through prayer, discussion, or just having fun together.
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: All it takes is one person to start a movement.
PHARISEE: A political, social, and religious group that were “separate” due to their belief in the law.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- What is your favorite board game? Did you play it as a child? Are you particularly competitive when it comes to this game?
- Did you ever discover a band or musical artist before everyone else? Who was it? How did you react or behave when other people discovered them as well?
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- There are many things going on this week’s passage about the adulterous woman, and the very different approaches to her by the Pharisees and Jesus. After reading John 8: 2 – 11, which are the parts of the scripture passage that stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- Pastor Mike taught: “Challenge and correction without connection only brings forth condemnation.” Can you think of an example when someone in your life gave you correction without connection? How did you feel and was it effective? Can you think of another example when someone who was connected to you and had a relationship with you offered correction? How was it different from your first example?
- Pastor Mike taught this week: Religion will ask: “Where is the line?” but, Jesus will ask: “Where does it hurt?” As a person of faith, how can you assure and position yourself to consider other’s hurts, rather than where the line is of committing sin or “doing enough” not to cross it?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- At the end of Sunday Services, we took time to confess and repent of any sin in our life. Continue this process. Take time this week to explore and examine any area of your life that has sin in it (the things that do not please God and separate’s you from God). Admit and confess to God any sin. If you have time during your DMC meet-up this week, share with your leader one word that describes this area of confession. Take time to pray, whether as a group, or individually for God to move in this area, and help you to repent (or turn away from this sin).
Please READ John 8:2 – 11 (ESV)
2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
DISCLAIMER: This series is not about bashing religious people, it is about finding and bashing out the religious person in you.
– All it takes is one person to start a movement.
PHARISEES came to:
– CONDEMN & CONVICT the woman
– CHALLENGE Jesus
JESUS came to:
– SET FREE
Questions to see which side are you in:
1.) Are you first to consider the RULES or consider the RELATIONSHIP?
– You can be right , and still be a jerk.
– Jesus made connection before condemnation.
– Challenge and correction without connection only brings forth condemnation.
– Our Ideals can turn into idols that we worship and put before God.
2.) Are you the first to CRITICIZE or are you the first to CARE?
Religion will ask: “Where is the line?” but,
Jesus will ask: “Where does it hurt?”
– If you are criticized for how you love people, you are in good company with Jesus.
– Takes NO Faith to criticize – it takes GREAT Faith to care.
3.) ARE you the first to see what’s COMMON or to see what’s CONFLICTING?
– People use “things” to conceal our issues – maybe religious people aren’t so different.
– Religious Deflection: Using “things” to conceal our own issues.
– We are to talk about OUR OWN SIN – NOT the sin of others.
– Jesus got on the adulterous woman’s level. He took off his crown, and put on an apron.
REVIVAL: Brining back life to something that is dead.
REVIVAL will come due to REPENTANCE