Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, October 14, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series: The Pharisee (Pronounced ‘Far-Side’)
An attack on our own Religious Attitudes
SERMON TITLE: The Magic Show
MEETUP WEEK #2 Format: “IN” Focus
Our “In” week focuses on caring for each other in our group, helping provide social opportunities to grow closer to one another through prayer, discussion, or just having fun together.
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Faith isn’t developed by formulas, but instead requires us to count our blessings, be obedient, and to keep going in the areas God is leading.
PHARISEE: A political, social, and religious group that were “separate” due to their belief in the law.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Describe a time when you saw magic performed, whether a professional magician, on a street corner, or even at a kid’s birthday party. What was you reaction to the tricks? Are there any tricks that stand out in your mind? Why do you think that is?
- Describe a hobby or interest that produces wonder in you. (Whether it is something like airplanes, art, gardening, the prefect golf swing, hiking, or anything that seems unexplainable to you.)
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- After reading Mark 8:11 – 26 (MSG), it covers both the Pharisee and the Disciples reaction and expectation about the super-natural – which are the parts of the scripture passage that stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- “When we are stressed, anxious, or scared, please know that God is NOT!!” Identify an area that you have spiritual anxiety in and find promises within the scripture that will help reverse that attitude and to have greater trust in God.
- “Lesson’s come through pain, not pleasure.” Do you agree with this statement? Why or Why not? How does obedience fit in to learning spiritual lessons from God?
- As individuals, God is leading us to do and accomplish certain things. Identify an area in your life that God is leading you in and that you need to keep going?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- This week, each morning, take time to “Count your blessings” – they are new every morning – wake up 15 minutes early and select at least three new blessings to focus on before the day starts.
Please READ Mark8:11 – 26 (MSG)
11-12 When they arrived, the Pharisees came out and started in on him, badgering him to prove himself, pushing him up against the wall. Provoked, he said, “Why does this generation clamor for miraculous guarantees? If I have anything to say about it, you’ll not get so much as a hint of a guarantee.”
13-15 He then left them, got back in the boat, and headed for the other side. But the disciples forgot to pack a lunch. Except for a single loaf of bread, there wasn’t a crumb in the boat. Jesus warned, “Be very careful. Keep a sharp eye out for the contaminating yeast of Pharisees and the followers of Herod.”
16-19 Meanwhile, the disciples were finding fault with each other because they had forgotten to bring bread. Jesus overheard and said, “Why are you fussing because you forgot bread? Don’t you see the point of all this? Don’t you get it at all? Remember the five loaves I broke for the five thousand? How many baskets of leftovers did you pick up?” They said, “Twelve.”
20 “And the seven loaves for the four thousand—how many bags full of leftovers did you get?” “Seven.”21 He said, “Do you still not get it?”
22-23 They arrived at Bethsaida. Some people brought a sightless man and begged Jesus to give him a healing touch. Taking him by the hand, he led him out of the village. He put spit in the man’s eyes, laid hands on him, and asked, “Do you see anything?”
24-26 He looked up. “I see men. They look like walking trees.” So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus. Jesus sent him straight home, telling him, “Don’t enter the village.”
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
DISCLAIMER: This series is not about bashing religious people; it is about finding and bashing out the religious person in you.
– God is not into performing magic
– God is unexplainable / full of wonder
– We don’t worship something we don’t understand
– Growth comes through and in faith
Faith isn’t developed by Formulas.
FAITH – Evidence of things UNSEEN (Heb 11:1)
– Goes beyond your senses
– GOAL: Knowing God
1.) I won’t BELIEVE until I SEE
(NEED: Count Your Blessings)
– Faith is unseen; therefore asking to see evidence from God is counter-intuitive
– Without Faith, impossible to please God.
– Disciples were stressed over the small things (Loaf of bread)
– Disciples saw miracles, and were still stressed and still didn’t believe
– Stress and anxiety is simply faith going in the wrong direction.
– Spiritual Anxiety – Focusing on the worst that could happen
– Blessings are new every morning
– COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
– Train your eyes to see the new blessings every day
2.) I won’t MOVE until I FEEL
– We are looking for the sensation, and in the process missing revelation.
– “That which hurts, instructs.” – Ben Franklin
– Lesson’s come through pain, not pleasure.
– ‘Tank is empty’ is not an excuse for disobedience.
– Even if you don’t feel it, still lead with obedience through it.
– Maybe you won’t feel it until you move, rather than waiting to move until you feel.
3.) I won’t CONTINUE until I HEAR.
(NEED: Keep Going)
– Jesus didn’t constantly remind the disciples of his past miracles.
– Absence of his voice does not mean absence of his presence.
– In the Garden (Genesis), “they heard God walking in the cool of the day.” (God didn’t say a word – they new his walk)
– Next level of obedience (& Spiritual maturity): Assurance of things unseen – knowing that God is with you!!
– Rehearse the presence of God
– When we are stressed, anxious, or scared – God is NOT!!