Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, October 21, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series:The Pharside (Pronounced ‘Far-Side’)
An attack on Religious Attitudes
SERMON TITLE: There is nothing you can do about it!!
MEETUP WEEK #1 Format: MEET-UP Questions
DISCLAIMER: This series is not about bashing religious people, it is about finding and eliminating the religious person in you.
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: If something is of God, there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it to stop the movement of God.
PHARISEE: A political, social, and religious group that were “separate” due to their belief in the law.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Have you ever had a VIP Experience based on someone you knew or were with? Describe the experience, the person, and your relationship to that person.
- “It’s hard for God to heal the person you are pretending to be.” In honor of getting closer to Halloween, describe the person you most enjoyed pretending to be or dressed up as, whether as a child or an adult.
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- After reading ACTS 5:25 – 42, which parts of the scripture passage stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging? What part is the most challenging?
- In the scripture reading, a Pharisee by the name of Gamaliel, a teacher of God’s Law who was honored by everyone, famously said and showed great wisdom when he said, “If it is of God, there is nothing you can do about it—and you better not be found fighting against God!” Describe a person in your life who shared great wisdom with you, and how it effected you and potentially changed your life.
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- “Relationship with God needs consistency, not routine.”Define the difference between consistency and routine. How do you promote consistency in your relationship with Jesus, and prevent it from turning into routine.
- “Be fixed on worshipping who Jesus was, not on what he did.” As a group, come up with a list of how you can position yourself to worship who Jesus was better and more consistently.
- You were given the “truth to set you free”. Define the meaning of ‘Freedom’ and what it means to your spiritual journey.
Question #4 (ACTION):
- Never lead by CONSENSUS, where everyone has an opinion, lead by CONVICTION and do what God wants, which is not always the popular or desired outcome, but is often what is most needed. If you asked God, “What do you want me to do now?” what would the answer be? Share with the group your conviction, and what steps you are taking to help achieve it.
Please READ ACTS 5 :25 – 42 (MSG)
25-26 Just then someone showed up and said, “Did you know that the men you put in jail are back in the Temple teaching the people?” The chief and his police went and got them, but they handled them gently, fearful that the people would riot and turn on them.
27-28 Bringing them back, they stood them before the High Council. The Chief Priest said, “Didn’t we give you strict orders not to teach in Jesus’ name? And here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are trying your best to blame us for the death of this man.”
29-32 Peter and the apostles answered, “It’s necessary to obey God rather than men. The God of our ancestors raised up Jesus, the One you killed by hanging him on a cross. God set him on high at his side, Prince and Savior, to give Israel the gift of a changed life and sins forgiven. And we are witnesses to these things. The Holy Spirit, whom God gives to those who obey him, corroborates every detail.”
33-37 When they heard that, they were furious and wanted to kill them on the spot. But one of the council members stood up, a Pharisee by the name of Gamaliel, a teacher of God’s Law who was honored by everyone. He ordered the men taken out of the room for a short time, then said, “Fellow Israelites, be careful what you do to these men. Not long ago Theudas made something of a splash, claiming to be somebody, and got about four hundred men to join him. He was killed, his followers dispersed, and nothing came of it. A little later, at the time of the census, Judas the Galilean appeared and acquired a following. He also fizzled out and the people following him were scattered to the four winds.
38-39 “So I am telling you: Hands off these men! Let them alone. If this program or this work is merely human, it will fall apart, but if it is of God, there is nothing you can do about it—and you better not be found fighting against God!”
40-42 That convinced them. They called the apostles back in. After giving them a thorough whipping, they warned them not to speak in Jesus’ name and sent them off. The apostles went out of the High Council overjoyed because they had been given the honor of being dishonored on account of the Name. Every day they were in the Temple and homes, teaching and preaching Christ Jesus, not letting up for a minute.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
– Religious people give you the biggest headache.
– Give God’s word license to “Go there”
– Things need to shift
– The gift of a changed life.
– If this is God – There is nothing you can do about it!!
1.) We can not get to God by the approval of men. We get to God by God’s approval of Jesus
– Never lead by CONSENSUS, lead by CONVICTION
– Leader innovates – gives what is needed, not what is wanted
– Q: What do you want to do now?
– Hard for God to heal person you are pretending to be.
– Relationship with God needs consistency, not routine.
2.) We can’t be fixed on worshipping what God does but who He is.
– JESUS was not a rule breaker, he was a rule fulfiller.
– Too often we worship what Jesus did, not who he was.
– Devoid of Leadership, people will develop idols.
3.) We weren’t given the truth to pass a test, but to set us free.
– TRUTH will set us free.
– TRUTH will lead us to know Jesus better
– Fabricated ‘Religious TRUTH’ leads to bondage.
– If and when we walk different, we will talk different.
– Stop trying to be Holy – KNOW the holy one.
– If God is behind these knuckleheads, there is nothing anyone can do about it!!