Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, November 11, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Mike Rosado
Series: All that and more (Series to prepare for Christmas)
SERMON TITLE: More than a shoulder to cry on
MEETUP WEEK #2 Format: IN (Deeper with Each Other)
This week’s DMC MEETUP – WEEK #2 is designed to be an IN night that your DMC focuses on getting to know one another better. This is an opportunity to develop friendships and deeper connections within the group, as well as increase your ‘Gospel Fluency’, which is the ability to share the Good News of Jesus and the life change that God has brought in your life with others. The format and questions included below, reflect the desire to provide the tools and environment to help promote the above stated values.
Your DMC may also take this opportunity to go out to do a social event, or host a game night, or perhaps have a movie night.
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: We give things to Jesus by allowing God to go first, by “Giving Way,” and acknowledging our need to do things with God, and ultimately seeking what God wants to do right now in and through our lives.
“IN” Week GROUP DYNAMICS
For this discussion time, we encourage you to break your DMC in to smaller groups based on gender. In addition, you can break the gender-specific groups in to smaller groups of 3 to 4 to encourage deeper and more open sharing. Let each group member have the opportunity to answer each question if they desire.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKER):
- Describe a person in your life who has surprised you in a positive way, whether with an action, insight, or decision.
Question #2 (SERMON-SPECIFIC):
- What is your opinion of Jesus? Describe your understanding of who Jesus is and how that specifically impacts your life.
- Follow-Up Question: Make a list of how you specifically describe Jesus (For example:Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace).
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- In general, or specifically related to this week’s message, what is God saying to you?
Question #4 (ACTION):
- How will you specifically respond in action to what God is saying?
Time permitting, take time to close in prayer about the things God is revealing to each of you, as well as the response and actions God is prompting from you.
Please READ ISAIAH 9:6 – 7 (ESV)
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given;
and the government shall be uponhis shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Please READ Mathew 11:25 – 30 (ESV)– Come to Me, and I Will Give You Rest
25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will, 27All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Please READ 1 Peter 5:6 – 11 (ESV)
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
– It is difficult for you to believe someone who has a high opinion of you, if you don’t have a high opinion of them.
– Celebrate Jesus – Be excited for Jesus.
– Government = RULE, Dominion (Not Domination), sovereignty or control
– Cast = Forcible throw in a certain direction
Q: How do we give things to Jesus?
A1.) Give-IN (Accept Defeat)
A2.) Give-UP (Withdraw / Quit)
A3.) Give WAY (Allow God to go 1st)
Quotes on QUITTING:
Quitting: “I can’t do it anymore.”
– I can’t do this anymore on my own.
– I’m not going to do it anymore without you.
Quitting: “I will drop it.”
– I will bring it to you.
– I will drop it at Jesus feet.
Quitting: “I need help.”
– What do you want me to do God, right now?
– Failure isn’t failure when you consider it lessons learned.
– Won’t be a lesson until we bring it to the teacher.
– Your ability to learn/grow is attached to your pain threshold.
– Have to let God Love you the way God wants to let you.
– Q: How do you need/want to be pastored?
– Q: What is your opinion of Jesus?