Weekly Meet-Up RESOURCES
DATE: Sunday, November 18, 2018
FERVENT CHURCH – Voorhees, NJ
Preached by Pastor Steve Rimikis
Series: All that and more (Series to prepare for Christmas)
SERMON TITLE: More than a COUNSELOR
MEETUP WEEK #3 Format: MEET-UP Questions
TODAY’S MAIN IDEA: Jesus, as a Wonderful counselor, provides clear direction, desires and requires relationship with you, while recognizing your God-given and Holy potential.
Question #1 (ICE BREAKERS):
- Think back to middle school, and share one of your most awkward experiences from middle school (whether in health, gym, or even sending an awkward Valentines.)
- What is your favorite part of Thanksgiving? If it is not the meal, also share your favorite food item from Thanksgiving.
Question #2 (SCRIPTURE):
- After reading John 14:26 (AMP), which parts of the scripture passage stood out to you? What part is the most encouraging and gives you the greatest hope? What part is the most challenging?
Question #3 (GENERAL):
- “We all have a problem, and we are powerless over the problem on our own.” What do you think is our “problem”? How does the “problem” effect how you live on a daily basis? How has Jesus impacted this “problem”?
- Where is your relationship with Jesus, in regards to deep or shallow? Using a swimming pool (still dreaming of warmer weather and ignoring last week’s snow), describe where you are in the pool with your relationship with Jesus, and why you feel you are at that point?
- In honor of Thanksgiving, take time to share with each other why you are thankful for your DMC and the members within it.
Question #4 (ACTION):
- What areas of your life do you posses “potential”?In what ways can you activate your God-given potential? Be as specific as possible. (If any group members are having trouble, let fellow group members encourage each other through what they see in each others.)
- This week, at your Thanksgiving celebration, be prepared to share with family and friends, specific ways that you are thankful to God over this past year.
Please READ ISAIAH 9:6 (ESV)
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be uponhis shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Please READ John 14:26 (AMP)
John 14:26 Amplified Bible (AMP)
26 But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.
THIS WEEK’s SERMON NOTES
– Wonderful Counselor – Wonder at His Presence/ability – Be in Awe – Beyond our understanding.
Why do we turn away from counseling?
1.) We didn’t receive complete honesty
2.) We were judged or criticized
3.) We were misunderstand
– “Walls are great at keeping people out, but also at keeping feelings from getting out.”
– We all have a problem – We have all fallen short (SIN) – Powerless over problem on our own.
What is it that Jesus does as a Counselor?
1.) A Counselor provides CLEAR Direction
– Jesus: “Do you want to be made well?”
– Counsel NOT Carry. / Lead NOT DRAG
2.) Effective Counsel requires Relationship
– Can’t counsel you, if they don’t know you.
– Don’t expect deep counsel from shallow relationships.
– “WE struggle to hear God’s voice, not that He doesn’t hear our voice.”
3.) A Counselor Recognizes your Potential
– Current “Potential” – Exciting
– Past-Tense “Had Potential” – Crushing/Potential
– POTENTIAL àTurns into PROGRESS àMatures into PURPOSE
– Other people might not see potential – God always sees potential because He is the one who put the potential in you!!